I am writing to express my pleasure that the Build Back Better bill (HR 5376) passed in the House of Representatives.
There is so much in this bill that will benefit Americans trying to be rebound from our recent difficult times. Briefly, these are some of its provisions:
• Children and families: Free Universal Pre-K for all 3 and 4 year olds, subsidized child care for children up to the age of 5, extended child tax credit, expanded paid family leave.
• Seniors: Greater Medicare negotiation of drug pricing (creates a safeguard against price gouging), coverage of hearing aid expenses, a $2,000 cap on out-of-pocket medical expenses as well as vast improvements for those needing home care.
• Low-income Americans: Healthcare premiums reduced to an average of $600 per year, dramatically helping the 3 million Americans who are uninsured.
• Affordable Housing: Provides funds for construction and rehabilitation of more than 1 million affordably priced rentals and single family homes, financial assistance to first-time homeowners and major improvements to public housing.
• Climate Change: Sweeping environmental changes which will benefit generations to come.
I think I am most pleased to see the provisions which benefit children. Often other segments are heard much more so because they have a voice with which to voice their wants and needs. In addition, they vote. Children are at a disadvantage in this respect and thus their important needs are not always met. That has got to change for their sake as well as our entire country for it is they who are the future of this country.
I would like to thank Rep. Antonio Delgado, D-Rhinebeck, for supporting this bill and helping with its passage. This historic bill has passed the House and is now on to the Senate, which may be a greater challenge as there are many Republican senators who are opposed to it.
If you are in support of HR 5376, you could call New York Democratic Sens. Charles Schumer (202-224-6542) and Kirsten Gillibrand (202-224-4451) to express that support.
New Paltz, N.Y.