United States Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Representative Ro Khanna (D-CA) have unveiled a proposal for an Essential Workers Bill of Rights to protect frontline workers during the coronavirus pandemic.
The new proposal includes:
- Health and safety protections.
- Robust premium compensation.
- Protections for collective bargaining agreements.
- Truly universal paid sick leave and family and medical leave.
- Protections for whistleblowers.
- An end to worker misclassification.
- Health care security.
- Support for child care.
- Treat workers as experts.
- Hold corporations accountable for meeting their responsibilities.
Many essential workers are in high-risk conditions without appropriate equipment, safety standards, or job protections, which is why it is so important that we create space within the next coronavirus legislation package to protect and support them.
Representative Ro Khanna said, “Nearly 60 million Americans are still working to keep our internet running, to deliver our groceries, to make sure we have electricity, and to care for the sick. In an age of automation, we are reminded of the dignity and importance of work that is not remote.”